St Denis, Silk Willoughby
We are a Grade 1 listed building. The church is probably on the site of an earlier pre-Norman church, Domesday Book (1086/7) having listed a church. The person for whom the present church was built was William Armine, who bought the manors of Silkby and Wilgebi (hence Silk Willoughby) from Rodger de Mortayne and Isabelle, his wife, in 1329/30. He became Bishop of Norwich (1325-1336), Lord Chancellor of England (1326) and Lord High Treasurer (1331-1332). The church is built of stone. The nave and aisles are Decorated,( built between 1329/30 and 1336), and the chancel was built in 1878 in the Perpendicular style. We have a ring of six bells. Practice night is every Monday (except Bank holidays), between 7.00pm-9.00pm. Visitors welcome.
|2nd Sunday||Sunday Service|
|Churchwarden||Mrs Janet Johnson||01529 302427|
|Churchwarden||Mrs S Logan||01529 304667|
The Parish of Silk Willoughby 2 Miles south of Sleaford. Silk Willoughby, is an ancient village, covering about 2500 acres, and situated at a point between the flat Lincolnshire fens and the rising ground of the eastern edge of the emerging Lincolnshire cliff. The soil is a light loam and clay, above a subsoil of Blue clay. There is none of the peat soil of the true fen.
There is a benchmark on the North-Western corner of the Church Tower registering an altitude of 52'6 above sea level; The lowest height in the Parish is by Mareham Lane at 30', and the highest is at the western end of Willoughby Walks at 171'6".At the time of the production of The Domesday Book the Parish of Silk Willoughby was two Manors, called Wilgebi and Silkebi. The origins of the village name are interesting, "by" indicated that there were Danes present in the area operating the Danelaw, and means place or dwelling. Silkby is either derived from the combination of "Silki" and"By", meaning "Silki's place", or is from the Old Norse word Selki (young seal) meaning the place of young seal. Willoughby maybe means derived from Wilgebi's place or is from "Welige", meaning among willows.
By 1339 the two hamlets seemed to be recognised as Silk Willoughby, although the spelling has varied though the centuries. The village now consists of approximately 136 houses and has a Post Office, village hall and pub (The Horseshoes). There are three listed buildings which are The Church, The Rectory and The Manor Farm. The village Cross is a Grade 11 listed Stone Cross, located in a paved area at the corner of School Lane and London Road.